Sunday 10 May 2009

Today's run - not a good one

So, we were in Norfolk this weekend for my Dad's 60th Birthday. Thought I'd worked out a nice easy route from where we were staying (near Wells-next-the-sea) to Cromer - 20miles, 1 road, not even I could get lost doing that - but as it turned out I could have got killed - the road was a little dodgy, so after much studying of the OS maps a new one was worked out

I set off following the same initial route as Saturday's quick trot out but even before I'd reached 2 miles I wasn't feeling great, my legs were sluggish, I was breathing really wheezily (something I'm prone to do towards the end of a race when I know I'm close to finishing and get a bit over emotional) and was just having a horrible time of it

I got to 5 miles where Dad met me with a drink (it was all country roads so to save me carrying shed loads of water/lucozade he was my mobile drinks station!), he was met with a daughter ready to give up and go home, but after a quick chat and a change of route we set off together to make sure I took the right road (I was all set to follow a different one so it's a good job he came with me!!)

After an initial feeling of renewed positivity the wheeziness was back - just couldn't control my breathing - the route was hilly but my legs coped surprisingly well with them, but as I turned into the last 3 miles before seeing my dad (and potentially mum, sister, her boyfriend and 3 dogs) I was already thinking of giving up - thankfully a mixture of wise words from Leigh and the last marathon and some very kind words from someone who will remain nameless I got though the next few miles up hill through a country estate and was rewarded with a lovley downhill run past the house and the home straight to my next pit stop

It was here that I decided to quit while I was ahead - there was no way I was going to be able to happily finish another 9 miles - they were only going to leave me feeling more demoralised than I already was. I've never given up that far from home before and I hope I'll never have to again, I'm putting it down to it just not being a good day - if it happened on a day when I only had to run 3 miles then I wouldn't be worrying about it, but as it turns out this time it was on a Sunday - big run so a bad day.

Now I have to put my mind to the next 3 weeks, tapering and trying to put today behind me.

There are plans to go running with Clare and Jenny at work, it will be fun to run with some people, that and a couple of BMF classes should hopefully get me all fired up and ready for this Sunday's 13 miles - we're nearly there!

2 comments:

  1. must be another Leigh you're refering too, I've never said anything wise in my life, perhaps you're confused with 'Lee'.
    Just put this one behind you, we all have bad days, where things just don't click!
    Focus on the 13 and enjoying yourself.
    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, fairly sure it was you x

    ReplyDelete